Sunday, September 19, 2010

This post and 50¢ will get you a Cappuccino (No, Really)


I’m a HUGE coffee aficionado. And that’s an understatement. Like many people these days, the day doesn’t really begin without picking up a nice ‘cup of Joe’ from Starbucks. But with the economy the way it is many people are looking for ways to cut back. Including myself. So, I decided to cut the Seattle giant out and learn how to make my own favorite barista concoction: Cappuccino. And to my surprise it was not so difficult to do!

Here is what you’ll need:

• Bialetti Moka Express or Stovetop espresso maker
• Milk Frother
• Espresso (my favorite is Lavazza)
• Milk

Here is where you can get what you’ll need:





Directions:



First, you need to fill up the bottom part of the espresso maker with cold water. There should be a line on the inside of it to show you where you should stop filling it. **WARNING** Don’t fill past this line or you risk the possibility of the espresso maker bursting while it is percolating***



Next, scoop the espresso into the filter. It can be heaping over the top but just make sure that you don’t pack the espresso. There needs to room for the steam to flow through.


Then screw the top part of the espresso maker back on and place it on the stove over medium-low heat. In 4-5 minutes the espresso should be ready. Listen for the percolating sound and take off the heat immediately.


Get a standard 6oz coffee cup and fill with milk 1/3 of the way. Put into the microwave for 40 seconds. Then take the milk frother and froth the milk until desired consistency.


Pour espresso into the center of the cup and you are done!

1 comment:

  1. Cool pictures. I really do need to cut back on my Starbucks habit. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete