Sunday, September 12, 2010

Love at first bite (Classic Italian Panini)


                                                                 © Paul Cisneros 2010

      The first time I ever tried this incredibly simple sandwich was the first night I was in Paris. I had decided to venture out in the area close to my hotel after some of the jet lag started to wear off. Although I didn’t know at the time, I was close to the historic Bastille area, an area known for it’s nightlife with many bars and restaurants. I was quite hungry as I had just taken a nap and the aroma coming from one street vendor was intoxicating. I saw a sign painted in huge red letters that said ‘PANINI’. So, I decided to give it a whirl and I’m by no means exaggerating by saying that it was love at first bite! I still have them quite regularly and have tried experimenting with different types of ingredients and bread.


     The classic Italian Panini is with a good rustic Italian white bread sliced, fresh basil leaves, mozzarella and sliced tomato. Many Italians also use ciabatta bread and often add prosciutto to the sandwich. I prefer it this way as well. What I really like is that they are very easy to make and are pretty much impossible to mess up. 

1 comment: