Sunday, November 7, 2010

Durian - The King of Fruits



Durian is a strange fruit. If you're from the West, the odor is basically like putrified gym socks. Not even kidding. However, in Southeast Asia, it is regarded as the 'king of fruits' and they love the smell. That being said, there are some establishments that have banned durian from being consumed on their premises. The fruit is characterized by its spiny, outer layer and is usually farmed away from people because it can be fatal if a ripe durian falls on someone. At least that what I was told by the family I was staying with in Malaysia. Also, many Southeast Asians believe that you should not consume alcohol after eating durian. It was explained to me that the fruit warms up the temperature of the body while alcohol cools the body temperature and can cause a stroke. 

The first time I tried it was when I was living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We had gone to visit my friend's uncle and he had some fresh durian at his house. Honestly, I wasn't impressed by the smell at all, but I did like the custard-like texture of the fruit. I know that it is just a fruit, but it was easily in the top 10 of 'the most strangest foods' category. The good thing is that it doesn't taste like it smells! So if you ever come across this esoteric fruit, give it a try. Even if you have to hold your nose while doing it! Oh, and think twice about having that drink afterward...

No comments:

Post a Comment