Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tastes like Black Chicken











I love to try new foods. And I've come across some really strange dishes along my way, but one of the strangest for me was black chicken. They are called Silkie chickens and originate most likely from China. The skin is black and their meat is dark grey. They are highly prized in Asia and are considered to be a curable food in Chinese medicine. Especially for women. Silkies are known to increase immunity, and treat diabetes, menstrual cramps and anemia as well as postpartum issues. I wouldn’t doubt it either as I can attest to being cured by various Chinese concoctions.

But how does it taste, you may ask? Tastes like chicken! Albeit a bit more gamey and slightly richer. If you can get your head around the fact that you’re eating a black chicken, then you’ll probably enjoy it. The way I had it was probably the most traditional way, which is in an herbal soup. I thought it was delicious a not really any gamier than the other chicken meat I’d had there.

Here’s a link to a recipe I found on how to prepare Black Chicken Soup:


Bon Appetit!!




No comments:

Post a Comment